Trekkers information management system
1 Aug 2022 Magic Himalaya Treks
Trekkers information management system (TIMS)
Tims know as Trekkers information management system. It has been implemented jointly with NTB and TAAN to ensure safety and securities for trekkers. NTB means Nepal tourism board TAAN means Trekking Agencies Associations of Nepal. The “TIMS’ also control illegal trekking operation.
Trekking companies is asked to provide personal info about trekkers. Details such as passport number, nationality, contact address, date of birth, occupation as well as itinerary are required to mentions. This date is uploaded in visitor’s database. It can b accessed in case of accidents and or natural calamities in order to inform the concerned institution about the number of trekkers inside the certain trekking area.
TAAN arranged Tims to both free Individual trekkers (FITs) as well as Te trekkers doing trek form government authorized companies. In the past it has been recorded the difficulties to rescue the trekkers due to natural calamities or accidents. This is happening due to lack of information’s about the trekkers. Due to such as problems now the TIMs system from TAAN is implemented which is very effective. If needed, TAAN can locate the position of trekkers in case of rescue operation etc. The provision of TIMs is implemented from January 1, 2008. Since then the Trekking agencies associations of Nepal (TAAN 0 and NTB (Nepal Tourism Board) started recording trekkers details and began issuing TIMs card to Trekkers.
TAAN and NTB
TAAN and NTB are working many job creating projects for Tourism workers who lost job due to covid. TIMs card is applicable in all trekking areas within country including the restricted areas. Group trekkers with company have to pay Blue TIMS cards by paying fee of Rs 1000 per person. Fits have to get green Tims cards and need to pay Rs 2000. The group trekkers from SAARC region have to pay Rs 300 while Fits from SAARC have to pay Rs 600 each. This TIMS is checked in trekking start point and ending point. There are many check post along the way too.
Why is TIMS Card Necessary?
While issuing the TIMS the following considerations have to taken in an account:
All important details regarding trekkers and the routes shall be mentions and mentioned in a computerized database management system. This is very useful for trekker’s safety and securities. It helps to carry out search and rescue operations for trekkers in case of natural calamities or other accidents. The records system includes the personal details of trekker, trekking region and area, trekking route, organization agency and well as duration etc. The data generated from the system will be useful to all concerned stakeholders. They are tourism organizations , government agencies, diplomatic missions, tour operators, research institution etc.
The unauthorized trekking operations will be controlled which bring the better management of trekking services. It is beneficial for trekkers, field staff, government as well as trekking company. TIMS will upgrade the service standard and will contribute to a better management of sustainable tourism development in Nepal.
The Revenue Collection from TIMS Card is share into three equal Parts for following Purposes:
- Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) will use the first part for printing TIMS cards, Holograms, Managing Issuing counters and use of remaining amount for tourism marketing, Publicity and Promotion.
- The second part is utilized in the welfare of trekking workers. The expenses will be in buying medical and accident insurance policy for them and conducting rescue operations in case of accidents. The amount is also used to launch the various programs as a part of corporate social responsibility (CSR) and also meet administrative expenses.
- The third part is utilized to developed infrastructure, promote, conserve, and maintain trekking trails. A sustainable amount is also utilized to explore, develop as well as promote new destinations. It also organized training as well as workshops for sustainable tourism development.
Where and How to Obtain a TIMS Card
The process of getting TIMs for Free individual trekkers and organized group trekkers is different which mentions below are separately:
Free Individual Trekkers:
Free individual trekkers can obtain TIMS card from TIMS check post in Pokhara and offices of Nepal tourism Board in Kathmandu as well as Pokhara. They need to fill up TIMS application form with all details and passport size pictures.
Organized trekkers can obtain YIMS card from TAAN secretariat in Maligaun. TAAN TIMS counter in Sathghumti, Thamel which is not in operations now after Covid. TAAN Pokhara secretariat in Pokhara also provide tims for organized groups.
TIMS card is compulsory to trek in all trekking areas in Nepal. But ” TIMS ” is not require for following case:
- Expedition members with mountaineering permits issued by government and Nepal Mountaineering Association.
- Visitors to controlled areas having permits issued by the department of Immigration.
- Foreign guests invited by the Government of Nepal.
- Authorities from the various diplomatic missions present in the country, who hold official letters and travel at their own risk.
- Visitors on certain Missions recommended by the Concerned Government Departments
- Foreign Nationals Possessing a residential visa.
TIMS counter opening Hours:
- TIMS counter at TAAN secretariat follows regular working hours (10am-5pm) and during winter months (Nov 01- Jan 31), it open from 10am to 4 pm. It is closed on Saturday and public holidays.
- TIMS Counter at Satghumti, Thamel opens at 7 am and closes at 6 pm. On Saturdays and public holidays the counter opens from 10 am to 1 pm.
- Nepal tourism board (NTB) follow government working hours that is 10 am to 5 pm. It is closed on Saturday and public holiday.
Documents required for Getting TIMS
- Copy of passport
- Two passport (PP) size photographs
- Detailed Itinerary
TAAN and NTB provide the compensations for the Death, Medical, Rescue. People need to have the documents that mention below to get the amount of claim. The documents and Procedures for all three are mentions below:
Procedures/ Documents required for TIMS Compensation
- Tims card Photocopy
- Cover letter from company
- Citizenship of victim
- Death certificate
- Relationship proof certificate
- Police report
- Medical report
- Insurance Claim Report
- Citizenship of claimant
- TIMS Card Photocopy
- Cover letter from company
- Victims’ citizenship
- Relationship certificate (if claimant is the person)
- Heli bill
- Itemized Bill (Pilot, Duration, Location< company< Guide, Porter, KG)
- TIMS card Photocopy
- Company cover letter
- Victims citizenship
- Medical report (certified by doctor).