13 Jan 2020 Magic Himalaya Treks
After having a good Holiday as well as celebrations of the Christmas festival, January came with the new year’s day. Winter arrived in the northern hemisphere as well as in Nepal. Along with Nepal winter start in all parts of Nepal including all trekking routes. There will be winter in Everest base camp too. Many people asked Is Everest base camp trek possible in January. The answer will be off course yes. Everest base camp trek in January can be done all the year.
Everest base camp trek in January is less populated than any other month of a year. The trek this month is not so attractive due to cold temperatures. But trekking to Everest base camp in January has its own advantages and benefits. The view of the mountains in January is way clear as well as beautiful than other times. The temperature in Everest will be 8 degrees to 12 degrees. It is much colder at night and early morning before the sun came.
Some Highlights of Everest base camp trek in January:
- Experience cold as well as different weather in Kathmandu valley as well as the Everest region.
- Scenic flights to Lukla with a view of villages full of snow.
- Buddhist Monetary and lama’s lifestyle in January.
- Exciting adventurous hiking and trekking routes.
- Stunning vie of snowed capped mountains including Thamserku, Amadablam, Everest, mt pPmari, etc.
- Stunning sunrise view of Kalapather as well as the view from Everest view hotel.
- Culture, lifestyles and joyful hospitality of local Sherpa in the Himalayas.
- Trekking all the way on snow from starting to end.
The weather of Everest base camp trek in January
Talking about the weather in January, it is different from one place to another place. Talking about Lukla it is located in 2829 meters. Here the average temperature is -2.8 degrees Celsius whereas a maximum is -2.8 degrees Celsius and minimum is -2.8 degrees Celsius. Moving higher to Namche situated on a 3444-meter elevation. The average temperature is -6 degree Celsius whereas minimum temperature is -10 degree Celsius and maximum is -3 degree Celsius. Talking about the near to base camp called Gorakshep. The average temperature is -10.9 degree Celsius whereas the maximum is -2.1 degree Celsius and maximum is -19.6 degree Celsius.
The altitude of Everest base camp trek:
Those people who trek to Everest base camp are able to measure the different altitude through the trek. Here are some of the places with altitude:
- Lukla is 2840 meters elevation.
- Phakding is 2610 meters elevation.
- Monjo is 2835 meters elevation.
- Namche is a 3440 meters elevation.
- Everest view hotel is 3800 meters elevation.
- Phungi Tenga is3250 meters elevation.
- Tengboche is 3860 meters elevation.
- Debuche is 3820 meters elevation.
- Somara is 4010 meters elevation.
- Dingboche is4410 meters elevation.
- Chhukung is 4730 meters elevation.
- Thukla is 4620 meters elevation.
- Laubecha is 4910 meters elevation.
- Italian Pyramid house is 4940 meters elevation.
- Goreksha is 5140 meters elevation.
- Everest base camp is 5363 meters elevation.
- Kalapather view Point is 5550 meters elevation.
Packing list for Everest base camp trek in January
- A good quality sleeping bag, if you don’t have our company will give you to use.
- Fleece wind stopper jackets, it worth it if it is waterproof.
- Warm shirts
- Warm as well as waterproof pants
- hot water bottles
- woolen scarf as well as a hat
- woolen socks as well as gloves
- bag cover with a proper bag
- good hiking boots
- hiking sticks
- guide book as well as a trail map
- sunscreens as well as a first-aid kit
- Sunglasses with extra pair.
Merits of Everest base camp trek in January
- With few trekkers in January, the trail is quiet and silent.
- The skies are clear with spectacular views.
- Flights to Lukla is less crowed as well as happen smoothly
- No problems to hire guide and porter because of less people traveling this time.
- Special treatment from guest house as well as lodges.
- Rooms are available and facilities like charging etc can get without difficulties.
- Due to fewer people, you can click nature as well as places nicely.
Demerits of trekking Everest base camp in January
- Due to snow as well as storms, the trekking trails such as Everest high pass trek, Mera peak, etc are closed.
- Days are shorter so we have to start early to reach the destinations before getting dark
- If you do not take acclimatization days then the cold will harm you as well as your body won’t be able to be comfortable.
- It will be cold during nights.
Some Alternatives trek to Everest trek in January months.
- Everest base camp trek from Jiri
- Gokyo valley trek
- Everest panoramic trek
- Everest base camp helicopter tour
Frequently Asked Questions and their answers about Everest base camp trek in January
Do you think guide and porters are necessary to Everest base camp trek in January?
Ans: Yes, Guide as well as porters are better to have because fewer people travel this time and you may lose the trails and there is lots of history in the past than people lost or die due to taking the wrong trekking trail. The guide will show you trail and advise you the things do and not do whereas porters carry your heavy gears so you will able to relax and concentrate on walking the slippery trail.
Do Lodges as well as tea house open in this trail?
Ans: Yes most of the places tea house open but someplace only 2 or 1 tea houses open but you need to query before you go., if you are traveling with company and guide they will do for you.
Is Travel Insurance need to have for Everest base camp trek in January?
As we know that Everest base camp trek is the hardest trek during January so anythings, an accident can happen to anyone. Some might get altitude sickness So, to not risk your life, you need to have travel insurance to rescue you to a safer place for treatment.