Tourist Visas now valid for 6 months issue only to foreigners who are no residence or occupation in India. It also issues for people with the objective of visiting India is recreation, sight-seeing as well as casual visit. Tourist visas count from the date of issue and cannot extend or convert into any other category in India.
All visas other than transit visas issue only after telex clearance receives. It only issues from the Indian Mission in the country to which the applicant belongs. This process takes around 1 week after telexes sent. Applicants should, therefore, prepare to wait for one week after telex clearance is sought before visas are issued to them.
Requirement of Visa
Foreigners desirous of visiting India can do. Can visit after obtaining a visa from the Indian Mission in the country of their residence. They should possess a valid National passport – except in the case of nationals of Bhutan and Nepal, who may carry only suitable means of identification.
A transit visa grant by Indian Missions abroad for a maximum period of 3 days.
Exemption from Registration
Foreigners coming to India on tourist visas for 180 days or a shorter period. They don’t require to register themselves with any authority in India. They can move about freely in the country, except to restricted/protected areas and prohibited places.
Individuals without nationality or of undermining nationality should have a valid passport, identity documents or sworn affidavit. It needs with visa for which they should apply at least two months in advance.
LAND PERMIT FACILITY
Tourists may note that no Landing Permit Facility is available to any foreign tourist landing without a visa. A limited facility exists only for group tours consisting of 4 or more members and sponsored by a travel agency recognized by the Government of India.
Children below the age of 12 years of foreigners of Indian origin may grant a landing permit by the Immigration authorities. It is up to a period of 90 days to see their relatives, in case they happen to come without a visa.
A tourist group arriving by air, ship or by a charter flight may be granted a collective landing permit for a period of up to 30 days. Permits by the Immigration authorities on landing, provide the group is sponsored by a recognized travel agency, a pre-drawn itinerary is presented along with details of passport, etc. of the members, and the travel agency gives the undertaking to conduct the group together.
Extension of Visa
The facility exists for an extension of a tourist visa beyond six months. In such a case, however, the foreigners’ Registration Officer throughout the country and obtain an extension of visa from him. All formalities of registration under the law need to fulfill.
Other Types of Visas
If a foreigner wishes to come to India for a purpose other than tourism. Then, he should come after obtaining an appropriate visit out of the following:
1. Business Visa: A foreigner can obtain from an Indian Embassy abroad multiple-entry business visas valid for one year or five years but with a cumulative stay in India of not more than 180 days, provided he wishes to come for some business.
2. Student Visa: A student visa can obtain from the Indian Embassy on the production of proof of administration and means of sustenance while in India, etc. The visa is valid for one year but is extended in India for the duration of the course.
3. Conference Visa:
Delegates coming to attend International Conferences in India can grant “Conference Visas” to cover the conference as well as tourism in India. Delegates advise applying to the Indian Embassies well in advance.
4. Foreigners wishing to undertake trekking, botanical expeditions, mountaineering expeditions as well as canoe-rafting, etc., in a team, maybe granted visas for the required duration on presentation of full details of the touring members, nature of the event, area to be visited and any other tourist information that may be asked for by the Indian Embassy.
5. Sports teams as well as individual sportsmen wishing to participate in international sports events in India can apply. Need to apply to an Indian Embassy/Mission for the grant of visa for the necessary duration. Requests for such visas prepare well in advance.
6. Foreign journalists, media men, documentary as well as feature filmmakers may obtain necessary visas after due formalities from the Indian Embassy.
7. Yoga: Visa for the study of Yoga as well as Vedic Culture It is also possible for a purpose like a dance as well as music, etc. Foreigners wishing to come to India to study these subjects need to apply well in advance with all necessary particulars. The Indian Embassies may grant visas for a period of one year. It can extend on an annual basis in India.